Skip to Content

Municipal By-laws

How To Make A Complaint (Property Standards)

Property Standards complaints need to be submitted in writing. To make a written complaint regarding a violation of the Property Standards By-Law, the Township requires you to provide your name, mailing address, telephone number, email address if applicable, as well as the details of your complaint. Should you refuse to provide this information, in accordance with Council policy, no action may be taken by the Property Standards Officer.

It is important that we are supplied with as much information as possible to ensure that your concerns are dealt with in an accurate and timely matter. Anonymous or verbal complaints WILL NOT be investigated or enforced. All personal information collected from complainants is protected under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Privacy Act; and will not be distributed or disclosed unless you are required as a witness.

The Property Standards Officer will receive complaints in these ways: 

  • By filling out a hard copy of the form, dropping it off in person to the Municipal Office
  • By mail to: Township of Red Rock c/o Property Standards Officer, Box 447, Red Rock, ON P0T 2P0
  • By email:

Enforcement Measures

The Town uses a variety of enforcement measures. The most preferred is to simply talk to people who are in violation of the Township’s Property Standards By-Law, explaining the need for the by-law and obtaining voluntary compliance.

When the Property Standards Officer cannot easily meet with people, warning letters will either be mailed to residences or hand delivered. These letters will explain the nature of the violation and ask for compliance by a specific date. Follow-up investigations will occur to ensure compliance. If compliance is not achieved, formal legal proceedings may commence or a fine may be issued.

Considerations Before Submitting A Bylaw Complaint

Complainant information is considered confidential and will not be released, except as may be required under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act or otherwise as required by law. The Township may require you to act as a witness, should a complaint case proceed to Court if an infraction cannot otherwise be resolved.

Often complaints can be resolved amicably between neighbors. It is recommended that whenever possible, residents attempt to resolve their issues before contacting the Property Standards Officer for assistance.

Tax and Budget By-Laws

More Plans, Policies and By-laws